Tuesday, May 17, 2011

DNA of Questionable Origin

So Spawn just used the phrase "trying to avoid disastrous consequences" in conversation with me. Seriously? Whose gene pool did this little wunderkind actually emerge from? My husband and I are smart people, don't get me wrong! But...Spawn is not like any other 8 year old I've ever met. In one breath he's making fart jokes and in the next he's stringing together vocabulary words his peers won't learn or understand until 8th grade. He's even reading at a 7th-8th grade reading level! I'm proud and yet baffled. Amongst our siblings (my husband, myself and our brothers), I was the best and brightest student with a solid "B" average throughout my academic career and even I managed to fail 10th grade history (once ;) ). Where did this child come from? We've joked for years that he must be the UPS man's kid because he's blond-haired and blue-eyed and CS Dad and I are most definitely neither of those! Now we know. Spawn must hearken back to some ancient, brilliant ancestor...whom neither CS Dad nor I take after ourselves. :P

Actually, when I spoke to my dad on the phone Sunday, he reminded me that his mom (my grandmother, Gloria) graduated from high school 2 years early and was one of the youngest students ever admitted to her nursing school in Bethlehem at age 16. Huh. Maybe it skips 2 generations. I got the fuzzy end of THAT lollipop.

So, when did you realize your kids were outdistancing you in some way for the first time? ;)

Chrissi, Cyber School Mom

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails