Saturday, January 23, 2010

Karate-Do and the Best Hot Dogs in the Slate Belt

Ever oversleep so outrageously late that you nearly missed a class at NOON on a Saturday? We did - today. :p Ugh!

CS Dad usually sets an alarm on his iTouch, but he left it downstairs when we were getting ready for bed last night and I always get up early without an alarm clock anyway, so I didn't bother to set the bedroom alarm clock. Imagine my surprise when I rolled over and looked at the clock and it said 11:18!!! :o Thank goodness I'd thought to pack poor Spawn's bento the night before - we had to be out the door in 7 minutes!!! Poor, sleepy Spawn - I tossed him out of bed, poured some juice and his meds into him, stuffed his poor, bleary-eyed self into his karate gi, brushed his teeth, and all but carried him like a football under one arm out the door. =D Thankfully, I had the forethought to grab his lunch bag, lunch, and a Soy Joy for breakfast as we ran out the door. =D


Spawn's pre-packed bento-ish/waste-free lunch: a star-stamped PB&J in Spawn's new "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" Wrap-N-Mat, yesterday's uneaten peach slices in a Lock & Lock, and some grape-flavored water in his SpongeBob Sigg.

We arrived just in time for Spawn's karate class at the Y - by the skin of our teeth with just five minutes to park, check-in at the front desk, and run down to the dojo in the basement. :p Today was the day we'd be finding out if Spawn was going to test for his dojo patch this month and I did NOT want to be late. Unfortunately, Spawn needs a little more time for his meds to kick in, so he was a little spacey and bleary-eyed throughout class. :( He got a practice sheet for his patch test this Wedneday night. He needs to practice his Tsuri Ashi, Fumi Dashi, Gedan Barrai Uke, Uchi Uke, Gyaku Tsuki, (Choku) Hineri Tsuki, Mae Geri, Hiza Geri, and Hantei. Thankfully, he knows what all those mean. :p

Spawn is a Koei Kan karate student, so he has to learn the katas as well as the vocabulary. He even speaks some Japanese now. =D I can't possibly explain how far Spawn has come over the last 4 years thanks to Koei Kan karate.

After karate, we decided Spawn could use a milkshake. (His pediatrician would like to see a little more weight on him, so he 'prescribed' 2 - 3 milkshakes a week for Spawn until he's in the 60th percentile for both weight an height.) Spawn loves McD's Arctic Orange shakes, but the machine was broken at the McD's in town, so we had to improvise. Fortunately, CS Dad remembered the old-school drive-in down the street - an old favorite of mine from when I was a kid - was open year-round. So we ran over to Daisy Dairy Bar to see if they had a an orange shake. They did!!! But then the siren smell of real shoestring fries and crispy, grilled hot dogs wafted over to us at the ice cream counter. No way were we getting out of there without a hot dog each, some fries, and Daisy Dairy Bar's infamous fruit punch. ::sigh:: Spawn offered to eat his lunch bento for dinner, so it's back in the fridge. :p

Spawn had hopes of eating fast and playing on the jungle gym while his dad and I finished up, but I think the fact that's it's January and he was in an all-white karate gi were just lost on him. :p After firmly putting my foot down, we ate our scrummylicious hot dogs and...this smell came to me. It was a flashback triggered by the combination of fries, ice cream, and fruit punch, I think. I had a brief flash of sitting in that same booth with my dad during one of my visits with him after my parents' divorce when I was 4. It must have been December or January because I remembered having the same argument with my dad over going out to play on the merry-go-round in my new coat and how I couldn't wait until the next warm, sunny day because I only saw him on Tuesdays and every other weekend. =D Tiny little guilt trip queen - that was me. ;)

I am so done with this crazy Saturday! I need a nap. :p

Chrissi, Cyber School Mom

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails